Homework #14 - Anonymity - Due Wednesday Oct 19, 11PM
Turn in this assignment via email (email@example.com)
by the due date, with the term Homework in the Subject.
Read the paper
Tor: The Second-Generation Onion Router, Roger Dingledine, Nick Mathewson, Paul Syverson, USENIX Security 2004.
(Note that this paper is dense and on the long side.)
Briefly write up your views of:
- What are the main contributions of this paper?
(Frame these in terms of the paper itself from a stand-alone
perspective. You don't need to worry about considering its
differences from its predecessor system, nor should you incorporate
post facto knowledge about Tor's subsequent influence.)
- What parts of the paper do you find unclear? (optional)
- What parts of the paper are questionable? (That is, you think a
conclusion may be wrong, an approach or evaluation technically
flawed, or data ill-presented.)
- Analyze a potential attack on Tor:
- Sketch an attack on the system other than those presented in
the paper. Devise this by yourself if possible, rather than
drawing upon attacks identified in papers/blog postings. However,
if you wind up using the latter, be sure to provide citation(s).
- How you would evaluate how effectively it works?
- What countermeasures could defend against it?
- How serious is the attack in practical terms? (Or, if
this isn't clear for your attack, how you could
figure this out?)